Congenital Spinal Problems Treated in Encino
Congenital means “existing from birth.” A congenital spinal defect is a spinal defect that a person is born with, such as:
- Spina bifida: means “split spine.” Spina bifida happens when a baby is in the womb and the spinal column does not close all the way.
- Congenital scoliosis: The spine is also rotated or twisted, pulling the ribs along with it to form a multidimensional curve.
- Lumbarization, sacralization: Malformations of the sacrum and base of the spine that influence the free-functioning spine.
- Vertebral stenosis: Narrowing of the open spaces within the spine.
- Spondylolisthesis: When one vertebra slips forward over the vertebra below it.
- Torticollis: A twisted neck in which the head is tipped to one side, while the chin is turned to the other.
- Lordosis: Increased curving of the spine, lordotic curves refer to the inward curve of the lumbar spine (just above the buttocks).
At Glaser Pain Relief Center, treatment of congenital spine abnormalities depends on the type and severity of the condition, for example torticollis may be treated with physical therapy aimed at straightening out the head, whereas a mild cases of lordosis may be treated with exercises to improve posture. Severe problems, especially those likely to worsen with age, are treated with either braces or surgery, depending on the extent of the existing curvature and abnormality.
Experience state-of-the-art treatment for spine disorders. Get in touch with us. Led by dual board-certified pain management specialist Dr. Glaser.
Discover relief from your pain by having Dr. Glaser evaluate you and design a treatment plan to fit your needs and achieve your goal of a pain-free life. Call us for your appointment at 818-501-PAIN (7246). For your convenience, you can use our Patient Portal. Our patients come to us from Agoura Hills, Beverly Hills, Burbank, Calabasas, Camarillo, Encino, Granada Hills, Lancaster, Los Angeles, Malibu, Northridge, Palmdale, Porter Ranch, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Simi Valley, Stevenson Ranch, Studio City, Tarzana, Thousand Oaks, Toluca Lake, Valencia, Westwood, Woodland Hills and the nearby communities.